(308) 398-0370
Paul Davis Restoration
of Central Nebraska
Facebook icon for Paul Davis Restoration of Central Nebraska Email icon for Paul Davis Restoration of Central Nebraska

The Most Common Cause for Fire Damage Remediation Services

Fire damage occurs to homes quite regularly, and they can be an alarming thing to deal with. More than 300,000 homes throughout the United States, according to the National Fire Protection Association, encounter fire damage annually. Along with this data, businesses like Paul Davis have provided fire clean up services for many homes. It’s necessary to understand the most common ways a house fire is caused, because any likelihood for fire shouldn’t be neglected. To ensure your preparedness, we’ve composed a category of the most common causes of house fires.

Not Paying Attention While Cooking

Cooking is one of the primary causes of house fires, and a fire usually transpires when the stove is neglected. Many fire clean up services have been needed because of forgotten activities in the kitchen. It’s imperative to remain in the kitchen while cooking, or to have someone to keep an eye on it if you exit the room.

Appliances Using Electricity

Appliances that use an electrical current, such as coffee makers and microwaves should be watched after and put in areas that aren’t risky. If any of your electrical equipment has a frayed cord, then they are a fire hazard. Another thing to recognize is your outlets. Don’t plug too many things into them.

Candles Left Neglected

Candles are refreshing objects to have around the home. Even though they make for elegant decorations, they are also an extreme fire hazard. Keep your candles away from possible fire hazards such as books, papers and draperies, and always make sure the wick isn’t burning when you leave the room.


When it comes to fire hazards, cigarettes are dangerous since they can fall to the ground and stay lit for a few hours. Exiting your house to smoke is the best approach to avert an accident from occurring.

Electrical Problems Bad Wiring

Any electrical problems in your home, such as faulty wiring, can expose your property to fire. This poses a problem since it’s not in plain sight, but there are a few things you can look out for to identify any faulty wiring in your home:

  • Your lights dim when another appliance is in use
  • You have to disconnect something in order for an appliance to work
  • Your circuit trips frequently

If you notice any of these things, contact an expert electrician or call your landlord to resolve the issue.

Barbecue Equipment

For most people, a barbecue is a part of their property for the summer. Remember, it’s imperative that your barbecue isn’t close to anything that can catch on fire from it. Also, keep it cleaned and maintained routinely, since the buildup that collects in your barbecue can be a fire risk. Checking your gas bottle on a regular basis is another necessary step in ensuring your safety.


Children are normally curious, and fire can be exciting for them. Keep any matches or lighters out of reach or hidden to prevent an accident from occurring. Take extra care and ensure your kids understand how to exit the house and that they know their address if they need to call 911.

Placing Flammable Contents

Certain liquids should be stored away from any heat source, and you should always check the label to see if they are flammable.

Christmas Trees in the Home

Every winter, holiday joy is provided to the home through Christmas trees along with a possible house fire. If you have a live tree, it’s necessary to cut off an inch from the trunk so the tree can absorb water. Watering your tree frequently and keeping it hydrated is also an essential step. One more task you should complete is turning off your Christmas lights when you go to bed. Also, you could buy an artificial tree to refrain from the fire hazard altogether.

Lint Traps

Fires produced from dryers are rather frequent, and that’s why it’s vital to keep them maintained. To prevent your home from needing fire damage cleaning services, always clean out the lint trap before using it again, and check the dryer duct frequently because lint can get stuck in there as well.


It’s difficult to get rid of all possible risks for fire, but understanding the most frequent causes of house fires can eliminate your risk significantly. If you have experienced any fire damage to your property, don’t hesitate to call an expert that provides fire damage cleaning services, like Paul Davis. We are a fire clean up company that can get your residence restored back to where it was before.